|Color Codes separate generations. Numbers show generations.|
|First Generation 1 – BLACK – (Sons/daughters of Isaac)||Sixth Generation 6 – BROWN|
|Second Generation 2 – RED||Seventh Generation 7 – GREY|
|Third Generation 3 – GREEN||Eighth Generation 8 – PURPLE|
|Fourth Generation 4 – ORANGE||Ninth Generation 9 – Olive|
|Fifth Generation 5 – BLUE||Tenth Generation 10 – PINK|
Jeremiah 1 (ca. 1760-ca. 1833), the last of Isaac Gregory’s sons, was one of the more interesting. He was probably born in Virginia (the Lunenburg/Pittsylvania area) and was very small when he traveled to South Carolina with his family.
It is estimated that he married for the first time just after the Revolutionary War, as four of his six sons were born by the time the 1790 census was recorded. His first wife was Lettice Young, as evidenced by a Dower Renunciation (Deed Book 1, p. 169, Union County, executed 29 March 1800, recorded 18 April 1812) regarding the transfer of eighty acres to Thomas McDaniel. Lettice is the daughter of Thomas and Catherine Young. The brother of Lettice, Christopher Young married Mary (Polly) Humphries.
All of Jeremiah’s children were born of his first marriage. They were: Lettice; Thomas B.; John Wesley; Isaac; Jeremiah Jr.; and George Young.
Ann H. (Nancy) Macon Brummitt (?-19 April 1856) was Jeremiah’s second wife. According to her estate packet (Apartment 103, Package 23, Chester County. Nancy’s son, Francis K. Brummitt, administrator), they were married in September 1809. They had no known issue.
Nancy was the daughter of Hartwell Macon. A Deed of Gift signed by Macon (Union County Book N, p. 56) grants to Jeremiah Gregory and wife, Ann H. Gregory “… for good will and affection to my loving daughter, wife of Jeremiah Gregory (formerly married to Spencer Brummett (sic), one Negro woman slave, Ailey, and her three children now in possession of Matthew Anderson – which said Negroes I have never thought proper to give my daughter on account of Spencer Brummett being insolvent, but now do freely give unto my daughter Ann H. Gregory and Jeremiah Gregory.”
Jeremiah also achieved guardianship of Ann’s daughters, Mary and Lucy S. Brummitt (sic) in a Union County Equity Court action on 28 June 1813.
Jeremiah’s earliest recorded activity was his service as a horseman in Captain Hughes Company, from 7 May 1779 to 25 June 1781, as a South Carolina Patriot in the Revolutionary War (Stub Entries to Indents, Book 10, #2350; and Accounts Audited #3097).
He was one of the most civic-minded of Isaac’s sons; being regarded as an intelligent, clever and trustworthy person. A few of his involvements included:
His appointment as surveyor/overseer of the highway from Jolly Creek to Otterson’s Ford on the Tyger River (28 May 1785).
His commission to lay out a road from Gregory’s Creek to Union Courthouse, with further instructions to work with John Savage in keeping said road in good repair (31 December 1786).
Standing bond for William Rountree, tavernkeeper.
Jeremiah provided for his children prior to his death via Deeds of Gift. It is through these deeds that we gain proof of their names, as well as other pertinent information. Abstracts of this series of deeds, all signed 28 November 1828 and recorded 17 December of that year, follow:
Book T, p. 107:
Jeremiah to Jehu and Lettie. Three Negroes, Dinah, Adam and Billy; 200 acres; stock of cattle, sheep and hogs; household and kitchen furniture; and farm equipment.
Book T, p. 108:
Jeremiah to “lawful heirs of my son, George Gregory, deceased … one Negro woman named Nelly and her child named Mariah . . .”
Book T, p. 108:
Jeremiah to John. Boy, Jesse, girl, Sarah, and 65 acres adjoining Isaac Gregory’s land.
Book T, p. 110:
Jeremiah to son, Jeremiah Jr. One Negro man named David.
Book T, p. 110:
Jeremiah to son, Isaac. Two Negroes, Phillis and Floral, and 65 acres.
The next document of note concerning Jeremiah is located in the same Deed Book (p. 154). This Dower Deed was signed 17 January 1829 and recorded on 19 January of that year with Nancy H. Gregory as Grantor and Jehu Gregory as Grantee. It relinquishes all interest in “tract whereon Jehu Gregory now lives … conveyed to him by Jeremiah Gregory Sr. by deed bearing the date of 20th day of November 1828.”
An agreement (Book T p. 345, executed 20 November 1828) refers to the above dower, Jeremiah’s gift to Jehu and Lettie (Book T, p. 107), and a $1,000 bond posted by Jehu. Within the agreement, Jehu “… binds himself to Jeremiah Gregory, Sr., to take him as one of the family, to clothe him decently, keep him comfortably, in sickness and health, during the said Jeremiah’s life.”
Jeremiah (who was by this time, approximately 77 years old) appears on the 1830 census with Jehu’s family. There is no woman of Nancy’s age listed in the household. She does not appear on the census in 1830 as an independent householder. It is suspected that she went to live with her son, Francis. She died in Chester County, South Carolina.
The date of Jeremiah’s death is not definitely known. A deed and another dower renunciation lead one to believe that his death occurred in January or early February 1833. The deed documents the sale of 99 acres (near Green Pond Branch on Jehu’s land, adjoining DeGraffenreid) to John Porter (Book T, p. 304). The dower, which “renounces all interest in estate and dower right for 99 acres sold by Jeremiah Gregory to said Porter,” is signed by Nancy.
Letters of administration on Jeremiah’s estate were granted in March 1833.
The land of Jeremiah Gregory is located on the re-surveyed plat of William Porter, 12 day of Feburary 1817, which was lying on Tinker Creek and Brown’s Creek. Jeremiah owned to the east and later to the north, possibly Thomas Vance land. Campbell Vance emigrates to Indiana with Steens from Tinker Creek area with Isaac “Brushy Creek” Gregory, son of Jeremiah. William Porter acquires land in 1806, Bk.J. page 45, & 503. He sells land to Joseph Jolly in 1809, Bk. K p. 100, where John Jolly, this land appears along the Fairview Church road and both sides of the Columbia Hwy. and in 1817, Bk. O, page 176. Jeremiah Jr. sells land formerly, Vance, Duffy, Jeremiah, to Dabney Becknell, Bk. P., page 64, 1819. This is the location of Henry Bray land.
Jeremiah sells to John Gregory in 1814, #13, 267 acres that includes part of this plat. Dabney owns land on the Lockhart Hwy., E. of Union Meeting House. Joseph Jolly owns additional land east of Dabney on the Lockhart Hwy. Jeremiah Jr. also sells land to Dabney in 1817, Bk. O p. 245.
There are other Jeremiahs in the Gregory connection. Jeremiah’s brother Isaac has a son Jeremiah with a wife Theresa. It is noted in her dower release. Further research is needed to determine if there was a dower and if he stays in the Union area.
Jeremiah buys land from Bray and Stokes south of Pinkney road, east of William Porter, #312, 300 acres, 1776. This is sold to John Gregory, which is felt to be his son. This plat, #13, 267 acres, Jun 1814, stretches from Pinkney road to Fairview road and Santuc highway. Jeremiah buys one week later, land adjacent and to the west of this plat, from Henry Bray, #77, 455 acres Jun 1814. These are noted in the plat book as Item #13 and #77. He buys from Patrick Sims, land to the west of Santuc or Greenpond highway and to the west of John Peter Sartor, Jr., at Wilson road. Part of this land is later sold to John Porter, #50 99 acres, 1827, which is to later be part of Aswin Starks land. A portion is given to his daughter, Lettice, and son-in-law, Jehu. This is opposite of land formerly owned by Allen de Greffenreid who will sell to Benjamin J. Gregory and Little Berry Jeter. This is divided with Benjamin J. getting the upper portion and adjacent John Porter and Jehu Gregory. The south portion below and adjacent to Patrick Henry Sims plat is sold by Jeremiah to William Fant, #22, 327 acres 1814; and a plat of land below and adjacent this is sold to Thomas Whitlow #23, 150 acres on Cane Creek. Jeremiah has had over 1500 acres of land.
Jeremiah Jr. received one slave from his father in 1828.
Jeremiah was not present for the distribution of his father’s estate on 18 October 1833. This leads one to believe he had left the area or died without issue.
An exact transcript of this record (which was on a 2″ x 4″ paper fragment tucked into Jeremiah’s estate packet) follows: After all accounts were settled, $35.10¾ remained to be divided.
Thomas B. Gregory
Mrs. Ann H. Gregory
widow all agreed
October 18th 1833
NOTE: The information on John Gregory and his descendants was provided by Donald Lowe.
NOTE: Correction on John Gregory and his descendants was provided by Ann Blomquist, Orlando, FL. (See her family history, Taylors and Tates of the South, 1993.)
John Wesley Gregory 2 (ca 1780-3 September 1862), is the second son of Jeremiah and Lettice Young Gregory. This is derived from the census ages of the children. John is born in 1780 and dies in Union County, South Carolina, 3 September 1862. Source: A coroners inquest by E.M. Gregory, Coroner, John P. Jolly, Shadrack Jolly, Samuel Jolly, G.W. Becknell, Wm. Becknell, and Richard Crocker… by the hand of God. His burial location is uncertain. John Gregory married Elizabeth Young (ca.1784-1803s). John Gregory and Elizabeth Young had at least 9 children but not all of their names are known: John c1804, daughter c1807, Cynthia c1809, daughter c1812, daughter c1814, son c1817, Naomi c1821, son c1823, and daughter c1825.
The connection to John Gregory lies in the verbal record of Leah Gallman Gregory, wife of Benjamin Franklin Gregory, son of Andrew Jackson Gregory. ‘Andrew’s mother died when he was two years old. She asked her sister to raise Andrew. Andrew’s mothers sister, Cynthia, married Shadrack P. Jolly. Shadrack raised Andrew’. These facts and the 1850 & 1860 census records, show Andrew with John Gregory, Naomi, Nancy, and John Jr. in the 1860 census. ‘Andrew lived with Oma and Nan after the Civil War’. Between 1850 and 1861 Andrew apparently loses his land over a farm lein. Union County had three years of crop failures in the mid 1850s. Many of the Gregorys moved about this time. By 1870 he is married to Caroline Mabry and moves to the Jonesville area.
John Gregory sold his remaining land to Andrew and Naomi; to Andrew in 1850, and Naomi in 1858, along with life time rights to the house and buildings. The two parcels of land being divided by the Columbia Highway. This is before the bridge is built over the railroad. The railroad is built in 1859 into 1860. The bridge over the railroad is not built until 1930. This reroutes the road at that time. A portion of the Santuc highway is moved esst of the railroad before the bridge. This gets more of the road on the east side and prevents the cris crossing of the railroad. The early road has the Fairview Road coming off farther down the highway and closer to Hog Thief Road. A study of the land around Monarch and the highways show Shadrack Jolly, John P. Jolly adjacent, on the census, on Hog Thief Road with John Gregory adjacent on the census. Hog Thief road is further identified on the Union County Map of 1858. The John P. Jolly tract had a 10 1/2 acre part on the E. side of Hog Thief Rd. This was adjacent to Alfred Gregory land, #157 in the plat book and now the land of Jeremiah, the son of Edward Gregory, Alfred is the son of George Young Gregory, son of Jeremiah. This is probably land of George Young Gregory and earlier Jeremiah. Jeremiah, son of Edward, buys the plot and sells later to Going and from him to J.B. Jolly, the son of Simeon Jolly, son of James Robert Jolly, brother to John P. Jolly, to the brother in law John Calvin Lowe, grandfather of Don Lowe.
John Gregory land is bordered on the south by James McBride, west by William Becknell and north by George Washington Becknell, on the north side of Fairview road. McBride and William Becknell are on the south side of Fairview Rd. The census does not show G.W. Becknell living on the Columbia Road or Hog Thief Road. The log cabin at the corner at the present RR bridge is the home of William McBride who married Ruth Becknell. William Becknell at some point buys the John Gregory plat sold to Andrew, his grandson, in 1850. The date of the sale to Becknell has not been found at this time. Becknell later sells to his son in law J.A. Mitchell and this is later sold to Morris. Plotting of the property has been difficult. Later transactions merely state the adjacent property owners. Forty acres across the road from Andrew was sold to Andrew’s aunt, Naomi in 1858 with John Gregory retaining life time rights to the house. This property ran south along Columbia Road, now Carem road, in Carem community. It turned eastward until it hit Isaac’s land, Isaac Lipham. Isaacs son, G. Singleton, #127, was east of Isaac running from Fairview Church or Neals road a couple of miles south. The north portion is adjacent John C. Lowe to the west and this is adjacent the former Alfred Gregory, George Young Gregory, plat. It retained it’s shape during all the transition.
Andrew’s mother’s first name is unknown as well as his father. Benjamin Gregory and his sister Alice Gregory did go to Spartanburg to visit Andrew’s half sister so she was known but the record was not passed on or revealed. Nancy, Nan, married Wright Hodge. It is felt she could have been the daughter of Naomi, based on ages. Naomi later was to have married a Jolly. This is unproven. She may later have moved. John P. Jolly was on the northern side of Fairview Road and John Gregory appears on the south side. and split by the Columbia highway.
The 1860 census shows John Gregory at a different location with a farm manager at the adjacent spot of John P. Jolly. This would indicate he has more land. John Gregory sells land to T.J. Jones, Bk. Z18, p.599, 1852. Jeremiah sells land to a John Gregory, formerly Henry Bray land south of Pinkneyville Road, Item # 13, Deedmapper, Z38, 1814. Item #84, Deedmapper, 1836,, has John Gregory with 500 a. on Brushy Creek. This is adjacent Isaac Brushy Creek Gregory. John the son of Isaac died in 1819. There is no indication he had land in this area. It is unlikely the deed was 17 years late being drawn up. With only one plat giving an indication of adjacent John Gregory property, it would put it over the property of Isaac Franklin Gregory, son of John Wesley Gregory. Isaac F. names one son John Wesley. The overlap of property is not a clear line but it would make up the majority of Isaac’s land. This is the most likely solution. It is also adjacent to Jehu and Isaac ‘Brushy Creek’.
A John Gregory owns land on Tinker Creek, adjacent to Nancy Gregory, widow of Edward M. Gregory. Jehu is probably named John Jehu as the land is his and is noted in the later sell by Jehu C. Gregory. This is further noted on an 1883 plat. In 1852 John Gregory Sr. and Jr. appear to be the only John Gregorys in this area of the county. John Jeremiah goes by Jeremiah. A Jehu C. Gregory sells land in 1852 to T.J. Jones. This is adjacent land to Aswin Starks Gregory; it is located on the W. side of Starks. Jehu owned land on Greenpond branch. Greenpond itself is shown on the Sartor plat as the Greenpond road or Santuc highway, the big road, Fishdam road. The Greenpond branch reference is given to the branch on the west John Porter line, west of the railroad and north of Jehu’s plat. Jehu was Greenpond postmaster until June 1852. Jehu C., the son, owns land on the Santuc Hwy., east side with Isaac Franklin Gregory on the west side. This is south of Juxa. Nancy Gregory, widow of Edward, has a transaction with daughter Margaret in 1852. This is near William Porter land. William had large acreage on Tinker Creek and on Brown’s Creek. It is adjacent John Gregory. This is Jehu land. There is no clear sale or gift to Jehu that is traceable. Jeremiah gave Jehu land but without metes. T.J. Jones land is hard to trace. He sells in less than 5 acres. His son is just as bad. The land must have been a gift. The transaction with Jones is before the death of their mother, Freelove. Jehu and Waitis appear to be raising cash on the property before the death of their mother, Lettice, daughter of Jeremiah. T.J. Jones has property south of Nancy and John Gregory.
There is no question at this time if this is Jehu or John Gregory. John is used but Jehu has 499 acres in this area. Jehu bought Wiley Webster, land, #156, and Gordan, #140. Jeremiah sold adjacent land to John Porter in 1827. Jeremiah gives Jehu 200 acres, as noted also in the Gregory Book. No other land has shown up that Jehu owns. His sons sell 149 acres each to TJ Jones as noted in the Aswin Starks estate plat of 1869, sheriff’s sale, forced by his wife Margaret. Land west of the railroad belonging to Starks and part of #27, 530 acres, is sold to J. S. Porter, this will be #73, 200 acres; the railroad is west of the road at that time and the road will later be moved to west of the railroad. At the sale of this by Porter, mentioned is made to the house on the property, “the house that William Harrison Gregory occupied”. Why does William Harrison stay in a house belonging to Starks Gregory, west of the railroad?
Sources for John Gregory number 29 and consist of Deeds, Plats, Maps, numerous overlays, Census, Coroners Inquest, and Verbal Records. Taking all John Gregorys in the Union County census and their year of birth and death, then looking at land deeds for year of sale, witness, adjacent property, and the whereabouts of each John Gregory, one begins to place each one. This is not to say there are no John Gregorys unaccounted for. Then you look at ages and realize we still have a few. Isaac Gregorys pose the same problem.
Cynthia Gregory 3 (1809-1886), is the first child of John Gregory, Sr. She marries Shadrack P. Jolly, son of Joseph Jolly. Shadrack and John P. Jolly return to Union County from Shelby Co. Alabama. James Robert Jolly, the brother, remains in Alabama. His son Simeon Jolly will later return to Union county and marry Nancy Gregory, the daughter of James Gregory. His daughter, Janie Jolly marries John C. Lowe, grandfather to Don Lowe. There are two James Gregorys that are possible fathers to Nancy Gregory. Joseph returns to sell Shadrack and John P. land in 1837, to Shadrack Jolly and to John P. Jolly. Shadrack and Cynthia raise Andrew Jackson Gregory after his mother dies. Shadrack comes back from Alabama with John P. Jolly prior to 1838. John P. Jolly is already married. William Marion Jolly is the son of John P. and moves later to Mississippi. William Marion Gregory will be the ancestor to Dr. Ben Gregory, author of Gregory Colonial Family. Joseph Jolly the father, comes back, sells land to them, and returns to Shelby County, Alabama. where he died. Joseph, like Jeremiah, has several deeds of land around each other and sell back and forth. Jollys come to Union County in 1754 with land grants in the 1760s. An elder John Jolly lives on Tinker Creek and had a grant of 300 acres. He has a son Joseph Jolly, who has a son Joseph. The elder Joseph dies, leaving the minor Joseph with Thomas Brandon the guardian. Joseph dies a minor. Benjamin, the brother of Joseph, inherites the land and swaps land with Thomas Brandon. The John Jolly on Brown’s Creek is suspected to be the brother of Joseph Sr. on Tinker Creek, and names a son Joseph. They have twelve children, all born in Union County: Benjamin F. Jolly; Charlotte Jolly; James Jolly; Rhoda Jolly; Naomi Jolly; William Singleton Jolly; Avis Jolly; Elizabeth Lizzie Jolly; John R. Jolly; Joseph W. Jolly; Sarah Jane Jolly; States Rights Jolly.
Benjamin F. Jolly 4 (1830-30 September 1864), the first child of Cynthia Gregory and Shadrack P. Jolly, marries Nancy Jolly. B.F. Jolly is killed in action at the Crater, Petersburg, Virginia, on 30 September 1864, Pvt. 18 Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers, Co. A. See account of the 18th Regiment and the Crater later. South Carolina soldiers appear to be the greater nunber of casualties. Nancy is probably the daughter of John P. Jolly. Nancy sells land in 1882 after the death of her parents on the same day in 1879. This is identifying Hog Thief Road and William McBride who buys the land, also having the land between Nancy Jolly and John Gregory. Many answers lie in transaction between Jollys and Jolly-Gregory transactions.
Charlotte Jolly 4 (22 September 1830-1899), the second child of Cynthia Gregory and Shadrack P. Jolly, marries Andrew Ferdinand Gregory, (15 September 1831-1905), the son of John Jeremiah Gregory and Naomi Steen. Again the daughter of a Jolly-Gregory union marries a Gregory. Their children are: Richard Gilliam Gregory; Robert G. Gregory.
NOTE: For additional information about Charlotte Jolly and Andrew Ferdinand Gregory’s descendants, refer to Chapter 2 – John
James Jolly 4 (1833), the third child of Cynthia Gregory and Shadrack P. Jolly, was born in 1833. There are two James Jolly casualties in the Civil War, from Union County: One DOD, the other one killed in action.
Naomi Jolly 4 (8 February 1836-1925), the fifth child of Cynthia Gregory and Shadrack P. Jolly. She marries Joseph Jolly, born in 1835. They have two children: Jessie W. Jolly, born in 1836; and Calhoun Jolly, born in 1863.
William Singleton Jolly 4 (8 February 1836-9 March 1906), the sixth child of Cynthia Gregory and Shadrack P. Jolly. He married Laura A. Gregory. He enlisted in January 1862 in the Confederate Infantry, 18th Regiment, Co. A. as a Private. William is buried in the Lost Prairie Cemetery, Limestone, Texas.
The 1st South Carolina Volunteer Infantry participated in more than forty various engagements.
The 5th South Carolina Infantry participated in some forty-seven engagements.
The 7th South Carolina Infantry participated in fifty-six engagements.
The Eightenth Infantry Regiment was assembled during the winter of 1861-1862 with men from Laurens County and other counties in the north-western part of the state. After serving in the Department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, it was ordered to Virginia. During the war it was assigned to General Evans’, Elliotts’, and Wallace’s Brigade. The 18th fought at Second Manasas, South Mountain, and Sharpsburg, moved to North Caroline, then saw action at Jackson, Mississippi. Returning to South Carolina, it was involved in the operations around Charleston. During the spring of 1864, the unit was sent back to Virginia where it participated in the Petersburg siege north and south of the James River and the Appomattox Campaign.
This Regiment lost forty-nine percent of the 230 engaged at Second Manasas and had 3 killed and 339 wounded during the Maryland Campaign. In September 1863, there were 363 present for duty and at the Petersburg mine explosion, 205 were disabled. It sustained many casualties at Saylor’s Creek and surrendered 16 officers and 139 men. Officers were Colonels Gadberry and Wallace, Lt. Col Allison, Lt. Col Scaife, and Lt. Col Betsill. The South Carolina soldiers fought in almost every battle and were some of the most involved of all the Confederate units. The Gregorys as well as Gallmans were well represented in service.
John Gregory, Jr. 3 (ca 1810), is the second child of John Gregory. He marries Mary (Polly) born in 1808, and they have six children: Jane Gregory, born in 1831; Sarah Sally Gregory, born in 1835; Annie Gregory, born in 1838; Francis Gregory, born in 1841; David Gregory, born in 1842; Reuben Gregory, born in 1845.
Andrew Jackson Gregory 4 (14 September 1831-19 December 1902), was born in Union County, and died on 19 December 1902. He is buried at Gilead Cemetary, Jonesville, Union County, South Carolina. He was in the Civil War, Private, Capt. Jeter’s Co., South Carolina MacBeth’s Light Artillery, Boyce’s Battery. He enlisted in Union District, South Carolina, 13 September 1861, age 30.
He is on the last roll: Mar/Apr 1864. Service Record, NARS Microcopy #27, Roll # 99, South Carolina Archives.
The Macbeth South Carolina Artillary Company was organized during the summer of 1861. Almost all of the officers and enlisted men of the company were recruited in Berkely County. Soloman Gregory is listed in the same Company. Artillary was not listed with a regiment but in the name ot the commander as they were often with different Brigades. They had four guns in June-July 1863; two-6 lb. smoothbore, two-12 lb. Howitzer, Nov. 28, 1863; four-6 lb. smoothbore, April-May 3, 1864. Solid shot and shell had a range of 2000 yards. Case shot for 500-1500 yards. Canister for 300 yards. The usual Battery had six guns, 83 horses, 36 drivers, 54 gun crew, 6 Sergeants, 4 Lieutenants, and 1 Captain, with 1 musician. They carried 768 rounds.
The MacBeth Light Artillery is under Captain R. Boyce and assigned to the Dept. of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida from November 1861 until August 1862. They become part of the Evan’s Brigade, 1st Corps, Army of Northern Virginia, August-October 1862; 1st Military District of South Carolina, Georgia, & Florida, October-May 1863; Evans Brigade, Military District of South Carolina, May 1862; Evans Brigade, Breckenridge Division, Department of the West, May-June 1863; Artillary Battalion, French’s Division, Department of the West, July 1863; Artillary Battalion, French’s Division, Department of the West, July 1863; Reserve Artillary, Department of Mississippi, Louisiana, July-August 1864; and serve in Battles: Rappahanock Station, Virginia, August 23, 1862; South Mountain, Maryland, September 14, 1862; Antietam, Maryland, September 17, 1862, ìn the Bloodiest Battle of the War; to the Dept. of the West, Vicksburg, Mississippi, May-July 1863; Jackson, Mississippi siege, July 1863; the Morristown Detachment, October 28, 1864. In March 1865, there were five officers and 92 enlisted men present for duty. It disbanded in April 1864. Captains Robert Boyce and B.A. Jeter were in command.
During the Battle of Antietam, they were at the eastern edge of Sharpsburg. They were in a reserve position behind Evans, Anderson and Garrett from 6:00 to 7:30. By 8:30 they are east of Hagerstown road and facing Bloody Lane, south east of Hood’s Texas Division. Hood’s Division suffered heavy losses. By 9:00 to 9:30 they have approached and crossed Bloody Lane. Boyce’s Company is now facing the NY, Md., and Del. Divisions. By 10:30 MacBeth’s Artillary has pulled back south of Bloody Lane along side of Miller’s Artillary. Lee’s headquarters is west of Sharpsburg. At 1:00 Miller has moved forward toward Bloody Lane with Boyce moving to the right flank. At 3:30-3:45 they have moved back toward Boonesboro Road, facing the 2nd., 10th. & 14th. U.S. Divisions in support of the 17th. South Carolina and Georgia. Divisions. By this time the U.S. N.Y., Mich.,Conn., R.I., Mass., and Ohio soldiers have pushed across the Antietam Creek bridge. The 50th, 20th and 2nd. Ga. Divisions have been beaten back. In a short time they will stop and collect their wounded and dead. The south lost over 12,000 men and the north over 13,000. During the war South Carolina will lose 19,000 men. North Carolina will lose 20,000 to battle and 20,000 to disease, more than anyone else; 30% of the entire losses.
Andrew Gregory marries Caroline Mabry, daughter of William Billy Mabry and Mary ‘Polly’ Hodge, a descendant of William Hodge, born 1790 in Scotland and living on Grindal’s Shoal area of Union County above Pacolet, South Carolina. Billy is a descendant of Francis Mabry of Henrico, Virginia. Leah Gregory relates the story of a son, Samuel Hodge running a ferry across the river. “As he went to ferry someone over, a big black panther started across the river after him. He just made it home”. Caroline was born 26 April 1845 and died 10 May 1896. Both are buried at Gilead Cemetary. There are five children: Benjamin Franklin Gregory; Alice Gregory; William Clarence Gregory; Mary Emma Gregory; States Joshua Gregory.